Central Saanich Police attended several calls for service through the long weekend and took five impaired drivers off the road. Out of 28 police files created between September 4 and September 6, 2021, 9 incidents took place at the Saanich Fair Grounds on Stelly’s Cross Road, including:
- 1 missing child who was located quickly. The Saanich Fair Grounds alerted police on site after closing the gates until the child was found and returned to family members. Fair staff did an excellent job developing and implementing lost child safety protocols.
- Officers responded to a male in medical distress. The investigation is with the BC Coroner Service.
- 1 dog overheating inside a vehicle. The owner was located quickly to tend to the dog and given a warning.
- 2 assaults, both isolated incidents with officers still investigating and seeking witness information/video/images.
- 1 impaired driver who was given a 90 day immediate roadside prohibition, with the vehicle impounded for 30 days.
- 1 lost or stolen camera.
Officers are seeking additional information related to two of the incidents. Sunday, September 5, at 8:45 pm, a 17 year-old male was assaulted by an unknown male on the carpet slide ride. On September 6, at 3:50 pm, a male in his late thirties was assaulted by another male at the midway. If you have information about either of these incidents, please contact Central Saanich Police, 250-652-4441, or Crime Stoppers to make an anonymous report, 1-800-222-8477.