Central Saanich has experienced a series of residential break and enters and while our officers continue to investigate the incidents, please share the following tips to reduce the risk of victimization:
- As it gets dark, look like you are home. Keep outdoor lights on including in your backyard, particularly if your backyard is private. If possible, keep a vehicle parked in your driveway to indicate someone is home (even if you are not).
- If you leave for vacation, tell a trusted neighbour and request that they clear away newspapers/garbage cans that could be left out so it is not obvious you are away.
- Do not call out to a suspicious person on a residential property, call 9-1-1 so police can attend immediately and speak with the individual. If comfortable, make observations including descriptions of any persons and any associated vehicles with license plate numbers.
- If someone knocks on your door or rings your doorbell and does not appear upon answering, please contact police immediately.
- Take photos of valuables such as jewelry and electronics and keep a record of serial numbers.
For information about Block Watch, contact Central Saanich Police Service at 250-652-4441.