Crop Protection

Crop Protection

The District of Central Saanich is a rural area, home to a wide variety of farming operations.    In order to protect the crops that feed our local community and livestock, some local farmers implement crop protection as a means to protect their livelihoods.  

Under Municipal Bylaw 2021, any persons wishing to implement crop protection must obtain both a Crop Protection Permit and a Shotgun-Bow Discharge Permit.  Applications for both permits must be made to the Central Saanich Police Service. 

Please download and bring the completed Discharge Permit Approval Letter form to CSPS Headquarters. 

Discharge Permit Approval Letter

The permit process  is as follows: 

  • The landowner or leaseholder must forward a copy of the Crop Protection Application to the Central Saanich Police Service before any person can be issued a Discharge Permit.   
  • Proper ID will need to be provided in person. 
  • Applicants must have written permission to perform Crop Protection from the landowner or leaseholder. 
  •  For the Shotgun-Bow Discharge Permit, proper ID and a fee of $25 is required before the permit is issued.  
  • If you are renewing an existing Crop Protection Permit:
    • Please attach any previous permits
    • A fee of $5 is required, which also covers renewal of the Discharge Permit
    • Please allow 10 business days to process your application. You will be contacted when permits are available for pick up.

All hunters must follow proper Provincial hunting regulations

**Permit holders must contact Central Saanich Police Service on the days they intend to exercise their permit**

For ease of processing, it is encouraged that all applications be submitted within the first month of the year so that permits can be in place when needed.  Please download and print PDF copies of the Crop Protection Application and the Shotgun-Bow Discharge Application and return to the Service desk.