Block Watch is a community-based, crime prevention program where neighbours make a commitment to watch out for each other’s homes and report suspicious activities to the police.
How Does Block Watch Work?
Residents from a Block Watch neighbourhood elect an area Captain or Co-Captains. Area Captains collaborate with the Central Saanich Police Service Block Watch Coordinator to:
- Train participants on residential crime prevention techniques and effective reporting of criminal and suspicious behaviour.
- Establish a channel of communication between participants and the police to encourage the sharing of information about crime in the community
- Provide standardized signage for residences or neighbourhoods indicating to potential offenders that the neighbourhood is committed to vigilant surveillance.
- Incorporate other crime prevention activities in addition to the crime prevention group.
What are the benefits of Block Watch?
- Increase crime awareness and the reporting of suspicious behaviour
- Increase cohesiveness, community spirit and a general feeling of safety
- Crime prevention tips on how to better protect your home
- In most cases, a general reduction in crime
- Possible discount offered on home insurance premiums
- Information on how to mark personal property
- Protective window decals
- Access to current crime statistics
If you are interested in learning more about the Central Saanich Police Block Watch, please contact the Block Watch Coordinator, Cst. Glen Davies at 250.652.4441 - or visit the Block Watch BC website.